Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Perspective

This is short and sweet. It's something that just started bouncing around in my head.

"How would a god view a man?" It took me back to my childhood, discussions I had with a friend named Rose.

I decided to build off of that, into something chilling. Oh, also!

I've finished the second draft of my book. I have a few editors lined up, and I suppose I'll be choosing from one soon. Hopefully I can find the person who can make a good story great. It's hard to be patient, though!


"The sentence is death."

A hush fell over the room. Adam's heart clenched and his throat tightened. It couldn't be the end, but it was, and every fiber of his being rebelled against it.

"Why would you do this to us?" he screamed, rising to his feet.

Joss smiled. "Why do you pour hot water down anthills? For what purpose do you swat a spider? Sometimes it's for amusement, others out of disgust, but always because there is that sense of superiority. It is different, lesser, so far down the foodchain that it might as well be imperceptible. Crushing, swatting, killing, it comes so easily because they are nothing to you.

"You are nothing to me, staring incomprehensively with your beady eyes, cursing at me from  revolting mandibles, trying as you might to protect yourself when you're confined to such a small web. It would all be laughable if it weren't so ghastly, but it is, and you are, and so I lift my hand."

The god raised it for all to see, above Adam's head and before Adam's eyes. His hand eased down, slowly, surely, before gingerly tapping against the man's forehead.

"Swat."

No comments:

Post a Comment